Hyatt has traditionally been a leader in the hotel industry, specifically with their loyalty program. I'm happy to report that they have continued that leadership position with how they have handled the current Coronavirus situation.
There have been quite a few changes to the World of Hyatt program to address this global Pandemic. Here is a summary of the latest World of Hyatt COVID-19 updates.
World of Hyatt COVID-19 Updates
- Cancellation Fees Waived
- World of Hyatt Loyalty Benefits Extended
- Hyatt Visa Limited Time Bonus
- Elite Status Challenge
Waived Cancellation Fees:
Hyatt is waiving change and cancellation fees for reservations through June 30, 2020.
- Existing reservations for upcoming travel through June 30, 2020:All existing reservations (booked April 1 or before) for arrivals through June 30, 2020 can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations.
- New reservations for any future travel: With some very limited exceptions noted below, reservations booked between April 2, 2020 and June 30, 2020 – for any future arrival date – can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival. This includes Advance Purchase Rate reservations. The only exceptions are reservations booked after April 1, 2020 at Destination Residences and Special Events Rate reservations booked after April 1, 2020. The cancellation policies for a Special Event Rate will be noted in the rate’s Rate Rules section when booking.
Extended World of Hyatt Loyalty Program Benefits
Hyatt has made the following adjustments to the World of Hyatt Loyalty program.
- More time to use points: Hyatt is suspending the forfeiture of points through December 31, 2020. As a reminder, Hyatt's general policy is that points do not expire, but they will be forfeited if a member’s account is inactive for 24 months.
- More time to use earned awards: All unused Free Night, Suite Upgrade or Club Lounge Access awards with expiration dates between March 1, 2020 and December 31, 2020 will be extended to December 31, 2021. This includes existing awards and awards that may be earned throughout this year with a 2020 expiration date. The award extension will be generated by World of Hyatt – members do not need to take action. Awards that expired between March 1 and March 31, 2020 will be replaced with new awards on April 20, 2020. All other qualifying, unused awards will be updated by the 20th day of the month in which the award would have originally expired.
- More time for elite members to enjoy their status and benefits: Status and benefits will be extended for all existing elite members without having to re-qualify. This means that whatever your status was as of March 31, 2020 – whether Discoverist, Explorist or Globalist – it will be automatically updated to reflect a February 28, 2022 expiration date. All elite tier extensions should be reflected in members’ accounts no later than April 15, 2020.
- Postponing award chart changes: Hyatt is postponing the introduction of Off-peak and Peak point redemption (originally planned for March 22, 2020) until 2021. This means that free-night redemptions will continue to be at standard rates for the rest of this year.
More information can be found on the Hyatt COVID-19 Page.
World of Hyatt Visa Promotion
World of Hyatt Credit Card holders can now earn a total of 3 qualifying night credits toward the next tier status for every $5,000 spent on their card between April 15, 2020 and June 30, 2020.
That's 1 “bonus” qualifying night credit in addition to the 2 qualifying night credits Card members already earn. You do not have to register for this offer, it is automatically applied when you put spend on the card.
Hyatt Elite Status Challenge (Targeted, but they make exceptions)
The status challenge is supposed to just be for employees of corporations that are targeted for this offer. However, I would recommend calling the World of Hyatt Customer Service number and asking to apply for this. I did this in 2019 and they were more than accommodating and registered my account right away.