The IHG Friends & Family rates allow you to book discounted rates on rooms at Kimpton, Intercontinental, Regent, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Crowne Plaza, Indigo, Staybridge Suites, and Candlewood Suites hotels.
The best part about it….. It’s available to everyone!
The IHG Friends and Family rates definitely can save you some money. I’ve seen discounts ranging from 15% to over 30%, but it definitely has some downsides too.
Here is everything you need to know about the IHG Family and Friends rate.
What is the IHG Friends and Family Rate?
Most hotel companies offer discounted rates for their employees, family members, and even their friends. For example, Marriott has the Marriott Explore Rate and Hilton has the “Go Hilton” Team Member Rate. But IHG has gone one step further and made their friends and family rate available to everyone.
Here is how you can get it:
- Go to the IHG Friends and Family booking website.
- Enter to location and dates you want to stay then hit the “Find a Hotel” button. The Friend and Family rate code is already embedded in the form.
It’s that easy!
How much can I save with the IHG Family and Friends Rate?
The savings can actually be pretty good with this rate. I took a look at the rates for a random night at the Kimpton Monaco in Seattle. The friend and family rate was 15% better than the advance purchase rate and 24% better than the flexible rate.
I have seen discounts up to 30%, depending on the brand and location.
IHG Properties that honor the family and friends rate
You can book IHG family and friends rates at the following IHG brands:
- Luxury and Lifestyle Brands:
- Regent Hotels
- Six Senses Hotels
- Vignette Collection
- Kimpton Hotels and Resorts
- Hotel Indigo
- Premium Collection Brands:
- Crowne Plaza
- voco Hotels
- EVEN Hotels
- Essentials Collection Brands:
- Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express
- Suites Collection Brands:
- Candlewood Suites
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations
- Staybridge Suites
- Atwell Suites
Downsides of the Family & Friends Rate
While the rate can offer some sizable savings, it is not without downsides. Here are a couple of things you need to be aware of when booking at this rate.
- You will not earn IHG Rewards points or get credit toward IHG Rewards Club elite status
- The stay will not qualify for and get bonus points with the current IHG promotion
- Rate requires a first-night deposit that is refundable if canceled in accordance with the hotel’s cancellation policy.
- Elite benefits may or may not be honored – it is up to the individual property
- There is a maximum of seven (7) nights and five (5) rooms per stay.
To make sure you are getting the best available rate, match this rate against a corporate rate you may be eligible for or even the AAA rate.
If the rate’s good enough, it can justify the trade-offs and the downsides. Just make sure to think all this through before booking. Personally, I don’t like prepaying for rates well in advance, so I would consider booking a flexible rate to hold the room. Then, when I am within a week of my arrival date, I would look for the family and friend’s rate and book the prepaid rate at that time (assuming it’s still available).
This is just another way to save on your paid hotel stays. Always check the friends and family rate before booking any IHG property. The savings can be significant!
More Great Content for IHG Rewards Fans
If you like what you’re reading now, here are some more great articles every IHG Rewards member should check out!