Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
One of the many perks of being a Marriott employee is the opportunity to save up to 75% on your hotel stays with Marriott’s employee discount program, called the “Marriott Explore Rate”.
With Marriott, the discounts not only apply to you, as an employee, but they also extend to your friends and family members too! If you’re one of the 200,000+ current Marriott associates, (or even if you just know one) you can get in on the savings right now.
Some of the terms can be a little confusing, so we created this detailed guide to dig into all of the rules, features, and benefits of the Marriott Explore Program.
We include how to book, eligibility requirements, and restrictions with the friends and family rates. We will also cover the additional discounts you can receive, like food and beverage, which can make your stay at a Marriott property an even better deal!
The Marriott Employee Discount Program: “Marriott Explore”
All of the major hotel chains offer some level of discount or free travel to employees and their family members. These rates are intended to encourage employees to experience the brand’s hotels and resorts, as well as to provide an opportunity for their loved ones to enjoy a discounted stay or vacation as well.
Hyatt has the best employee discount program of all the major hotel chains because they give you 12 completely free nights at any Hyatt property in the world, every year.
Marriott’s program is similar to the “Go Hilton” Team Member Rate and the IHG Employee Rate because employees are provided with a deeply discounted nightly rate. It’s a great program, with a couple of different variations, depending on your relationship with the Marriott employee.
Who is Eligible for the Marriott Explore Rate?
Marriott “Associates” and “Immediate Family Members” are eligible to use the Marriott employee discount code (MMP).
Marriott Associates are defined as:
- Full-Time and Part-Time employees
- Seasonal, Temporary, and Pool, including furloughed and temporary layoff employees, who have a valid discount form
- Employees of Design Hotels are not eligible for the “explore” program. Also, if you work for a Vendor of Marriott, you are not eligible for the explore rate.
Immediate Family Members are defined as:
- Parents or Parents-in-law
- Spouse or Domestic Partner
- Siblings (Brother or Sister)
- Cousins, Brothers in-Laws, Sisters in-Law, Uncles, and Aunts are not considered immediate family. They are considered “extended family” and can use the Explore Friends Rate.
Marriott Explore Codes
There are four discount codes available under the “Marriott Explore” program. These low rates are available to employees, friends, and family members when using the proper rate code.
- “MM4” – The Marriott Employee Discount Code is “MM4”. It is for employees only and is called the “Explore More” rate. This rate provides the largest discount but it is rarely available.
- “MMP” – The Marriott Friends and Family code is “MMP”. It is for employees and immediate family members and is called the “Explore Rate”. This is the most widely available discounted rate for employees.
- “MMF” – The Marriott Friends Code is “MMF”. It is for friends and distant family members and is called the “Explore Friends Rate”.
- “QCC” – The Quarter Century Club Code is “QCC” which is for 25+ year employees of Marriott.
1. Marriott Employee Discount Codes (“MM4” and “MMP”)
The Explore Rate is for Marriott employees and their family members. Luckily, the definition of what Marriott considers a family member is fairly broad and includes spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, brothers, sisters, and children of Marriott employees.
Marriott Employee & Family Discount Codes
The are two different Explore rate codes to use when booking an employee discount, “MM4” rate and the “MMP” rate. When you use the MM4 rate code will only display the employee discount rates. When you book with the MMP rate code, the results are available to employees and immediate family members.
At check-in, eligible guests must present a photo ID and the Explore Rate Authorization Form.
When using the Marriott Explore rate there is a voluntary $3/night donation to the TakeCare Relief Fund added at participating properties. TCRF is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) entity primarily supporting managed associates affected by emergencies.
Marriott Employee Code Restrictions
It’s important to note that there are some limitations on using these codes. When using an Explore Rate, an employee can book a maximum of 2 rooms per night, and an immediate family member can book a maximum of 1 room per night with the discounted rate. The total rooms per night tied to the employee cannot exceed 2 rooms at the same time.
For example: If an employee has 2 rooms at a Marriott property, their parent (or brother, sister, etc..) cannot book an additional room at that same hotel on the same date. However, if the employee has just 1 room, then the parent (or another immediate family member) can book 1 room at the same hotel on the same date.
The discount can be up to 75% off the normal rates, so they have to put a cap on its usage to ensure it is not abused.
2. Marriott Friends Code (“MMF”)
If you’re not a member of a Marriott employee’s immediate family, you can still get the benefit of a reduced rate with the Marriott friends discount code. This rate isn’t as good as the employee rate, but it still can offer some nice savings for friends and distant family members.
The Code for the Marriott Friends Rate to use when booking is “MMF”.
If you want to be eligible to use this code, all you need to do is ask your family member or friend (“the employee”) to get an authorization form for you to complete. They can get this from either Marriott Human Resources or download it directly from the Marriott Global Source intranet site.
This form is a requirement to receive the Marriott family or friends discount and must be presented at time of check-in with your photo ID.
The terms of the Marriott friends rate are:
- The rate is available to friends of Marriott associates only for personal travel.
- The rate is available for personal travel only.
- There is no limit on the number of rooms per night or nights per stay.
- This rate is eligible to earn Marriott Bonvoy points or miles.
- Authorization Forms are available through Human Resources or Marriott Global Source.
- Voluntary 3 USD/night donation to the TakeCare Relief Fund added at participating properties. TCRF is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) entity primarily supporting managed associates affected by emergencies.
3. Marriott Quarter Century Club (“QCC”)
The Quarter Century Club (“QCC”) is Marriott’s program for employees (and former Marriott employees) who have worked at Marriott corporate or a hotel property for 25 or more years. These long-time employees are rewarded with complimentary rooms at participating Marriott locations. Plus, they will continue to have access to the employee discount, “Explore Rates” for paid stays.
This program applies to approximately 2,000 Marriott hotel and resort properties but excludes their most exclusive properties, including:
- Design Hotels,
- Luxury Collection,
- Ritz-Carlton and
- St. Regis Hotels & Resorts.
You can download a list of participating properties from the Marriott Digital Asset Management site.
Marriott “QCC” Rate Terms & Conditions
- QCC members are allowed one complimentary stay per property per year, subject to availability.
- QCC members may stay up to three nights at the same property during the same stay.
- Members may book one room at the QCC complimentary rate, and if desired, one additional room at the Explore Rate or Explore Friends Rate.
How to Book Marriott Explore Rates
The booking process is very easy. You’ll just need to use the code when booking the employee or family and friends rate direct on Marriott’s website.
How to book using a Marriott Employee Discount Code
Here’s a quick example to show you how to book the rate and what level of discount you can expect, based on a sample search I did for a Marriott weekend stay in Chicago.
- Go to Marriott’s booking site.
- Click on the “Find & Reserve” tab on the upper left portion of the page.
- Enter the location you are traveling to and the travel dates.
- Click on the Special Rates Drop Down.
- Click the “Corporate/Promo Code” button and enter “MMP” in the text field.
- Enter the destination and dates you want to travel then hit “Find Hotels”.
A list of available hotels will display, but you won’t know if the rate is offered until you click on each individual hotel to see the available rates.
How to book using a Marriott Friends and Family Discount Code
The process is the same as booking a employee discount rate. The only difference is that you will enter “MMF” in the Promo Code field, instead of “MMP”.
How to book using the Marriott QCC Rate Code
Booking a QCC rate takes an extra step. Here is what you need to do:
- QCC members should first book the Explore Rate as stated earlier at marriott.com (use the Marriott Bonvoy App)
- Then call or email the QCC Customer Engagement Center to determine if the Explore Rate can be changed to the QCC complimentary rate.
- To check complimentary rate availability, call (800) 826-1882 in the U.S. or call (402) 390-1600 ext. 2281578 outside of the U.S., or email: [email protected].
Marriott Explore Rate Authorization Form
As mentioned earlier, you will need to present a completed Explore Rate Authorization Form at the time of check-in. To get an authorization form, you have to be a Marriott employee (and download from the corporate intranet site) or have Marriott HR provide you with the form.
Here are the steps:
- Go to Marriottforms.com
- Enter your EID and password.
- In the Form/Card Number field, enter the Validation Code to pull up the validation information.
- Make sure the following information matches:
- The Associate Name field must match the form’s (Name of Associate),
- The Guest Name field must match the form (Name of Guest), and
- The Expiration field must match the form’s (Expiration Date).
Examples of Savings Using the Marriott Explore Rate
Here are two random examples of savings Marriott employees, their family and friends will get with the Marriott Explore program:
1. Chicago Example: JW Marriott Chicago
The savings at the JW Marriott Chicago can be huge with these rates. As you will see below, the standard rates for this night (before taxed and fees) are very high and the explore rate is a great deal!
- Standard Rate: $450
- Prepaid Rate: $360
- Explore Rate: $104 (76% discount off the standard rate)
- Explore Friends Rate: $199 (56% discount off the standard rate)
2. Tampa Example: Le Méridien Tampa
The savings at the Le Méridien Tampa can be quite large as well. Below is a summary of the different rate options
- Standard Rate: $298
- Prepaid Rate: $271
- Explore Rate: $104 (65% discount off the standard rate)
- Explore Friends Rate: $234 (21% discount off the standard rate)
Employee Food & Beverage Discount
Marriott Employees (and their friends and family) also receive discounts when dining on property. The discounts are not as good as what Hilton offers its employees, but they will save 20%, which can add up throughout a stay.
In addition to the 20% off of food and beverage, the Marriott Explore rate also offers the following discounts to employees, family members and friends:
- 20% off Spa Treatments
- 30% off Retail at Marriott Stores
- 30% off Golf Tee Times and Apparel
FAQ’s about the Marriott Explore Program:
Yes and no. You will earn Bonvoy points and elite qualifying nights with the MMF rates, but not the MMP and MM4 rates.
Marriott is very strict with their Explore rates. You must be able to present your official discount authorization form at check-in or they will charge you the full rack rate. Do not try to “game” this, it will not work.
You will need to present a valid ID, such as a Driver’s license or Passport, and your Marriott authorization form.
No. You must be actively employed by Marriott to use the program. However, if you still have friends that work there, you can ask them to help you with an MMF rate.
Yes. Marriott hotel employees get a 30% discount on retail purchases and purchases made on ShopMarriott.com, which includes luxury items like the Westin Heavenly Bed, a Ritz Carlton Mattress, or St. Regis Pillow.
There are three main codes: MM4 is for Marriott employee rates only, MMF is for Marriott friends and family rates only, and MMP will show both results.
A Marriott EID is an Enterprise Identification (EID) and is used to access Marriott International intranet sites and business applications.
Since Sheraton is a member of the Marriott family the same rate codes apply to all Marriott Brands. “MMP” is for employee discounts and “MMF” is for the Marriott friends and family rate.
StarHOT rates were employee rates for Starwood employees before SPG was acquired by Marriott. These rates have been replaced by the Marriott Explore Rate.
More Content for Marriott Bonvoy Fans
If you like what you are reading now, here are some more great articles every Marriott Bonvoy member should check out!
- Detailed Guide and Review of the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program
- Everything you need to know about Marriott Platinum & Titanium Status
- How to save with Marriott Corporate Discount Code
- The latest Marriott Promotion
- Marriott Travel Agent Rates
- Save up to 30% with Marriott Breakaway Rates for Leisure Travel