The ThankYou Premier Credit Card from Citi is designed for frequent travelers who want to earn points toward free travel on all of their purchases, but aren’t necessarily loyal to any particular airline or hotel program.
This card has some unique benefits that other general travel credit cards do not have such as the ability to earn Thank You Points on the actual miles you fly and an anniversary bonus that increases the percentage of Thank You Points you earn per dollar spent with each year you hold the card.
The card is offered as either a MasterCard or Visa, whichever you prefer.
Table of Contents
- 1 Sign up Bonus, Rewards and Transfer Options
- 2 Points earned in the first year with the Citi ThankYou Premier Card
- 3 Additional Benefits of the Ink Classic Business Card
- 4 Our Take on the Ink Classic Business Card
- 5 Is it right for you?
- 6 Apply here… with this secure link to the Application Page for the Citi ThankYou Premier Card.
- 7 Know your Credit Score
- 8 Disclaimer:
- 9 Related
Sign up Bonus, Rewards and Transfer Options
The Citi ThankYou Premier Credit Card offers a sign up bonus of 30,000 Thank You Points when you make $2,000 in purchases within the first three months of having the card. You will earn 1.2 Thank You Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores and commuter transportation/parking merchants and one Thank You Point for every dollar you spend on all other purchases. There are a couple of other bonus earning opportunities as well, including the ability to earn 200 points for signing-up for Account Online and 200 points for enrolling in Paperless Statements.
At the end of each Citi ThankYou Card account membership year (your membership year begins the date you became a Citi ThankYou Cardmember and resets each year on that date), you will also earn an Anniversary Bonus calculated as a percentage of ThankYou Points earned from purchases during that membership year as follows:
|Membership Year||Anniversary Bonus %|
|0 – 1||1%|
|1 – 2||2%|
|2 – 3||3%|
|3 – 4||4%|
|4 and after||5%|
You will receive an additional 33% Thank You Point bonus when you redeem your reward points and book your travel through the Thank You Travel Center. For example: 30,000 Thank You Points can be redeemed for $400 in airfare, which would typically require 40,000 points.
Points earned in the first year with the Citi ThankYou Premier Card
Assume you spend $3,000 per month on the Credit Card in the first 12 months.
+ 30,000 Bonus Points – Must purchase $2000 within the first 3 months
+ 400 Bonus Points – sign up for Account Online and Paperless Statements
+36,000 Points from Spending – 1:1 ratio of points per dollar charged on the card (would most likely be higher than this due to 1.2:1 ration for grocery, gas, etc.. this is a conservative estimate)
= 66,400 Points earned in the first year. That’s enough for:
- Over $650 of free travel rewards, if redeemed through the Thank You Travel Center, OR
- $600 in Retail Gift Cards (may vary depending on which retail gift card you choose), OR
- $400 in Cash
Additional Benefits of the Ink Classic Business Card
The ThankYou Premier Credit Card comes with a suite of benefits exclusively available to cardholders. These benefits include:
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: This is a great benefit for international travelers that will save you from having to pay the 3% surcharge placed on international credit card transactions.
- Complimentary Domestic Companion Ticket: Get a complimentary domestic companion ticket each year when you book a flight, within the continental USA, through Citi’s travel benefits provider Spirit Incentives.
- 15% Discount on Airfare: Get a 15% discount on airfare booked through Citi’s travel benefits provider, Spirit Incentives. To reach spirit Incentives, call 1-866-428-4078
- Earn 1 Flight Point for every mile you fly, when purchased on your Thank You Card: Note: there is a slight catch to this one – Thank You Flight Points are not transferred until you have an equal or great amount of Thank You Points earned from purchases. So if you fly 3,000 miles, you will not have the 3,000 Thank You flight points transferred to your account until you have made $3,000 in purchases on the card.
- Thank You Points can be redeemed for retailers and restaurants: Such as Home Depot, Banana Republic, Morton’s, Starbucks and many more. Points for these items can be redeemed through ThankYou.com or by calling 1-800-THANKYOU (1-800-842-6596)
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement: If your luggage is lost, you will be eligible to receive reimbursement coverage up to $3,000 when the common carrier fare is charged to your card.
- Trip Cancellation / Interruption Insurance: In the event of the Insured person’s trip cancellation or interruption, Citi will pay up to $1,500.
- Worldwide Auto Rental Insurance: Receive automatic coverage of up to $50,000 in excess of other insurance for damage due to collision or theft when you reserve and rent a covered vehicle with your Citi Thank You Card and decline the car rental company’s collision, loss/damage waiver insurance.
- Extended Warranty Protection: Extends the terms of the original manufacturer’s U.S. warranty (of one year or less) for up to one additional year.
- Price Protection: Protects most purchases made on your Citi Thank You Premier Card against theft, fire or accidental breakage of up to $1,000 for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.
- Retail Purchase Protection: Protects most purchases made on your Citi Thank You Premier Card against theft, fire or accidental breakage of up to $1,000 for up to 90 days from the date of purchase.
- No Cap on the amount of points you can earn and no expiration:
Our Take on the Ink Classic Business Card
Is it right for you?
If you are a frequent flyer and spend about $3,000 per month on your credit card, this is a great card for you. The flexibility of being able to use your points for any type of travel reward – including hotels, airlines, cruises, etc – through any provider is a great feature. Combine this redemption flexibility with the sign up bonus and this is a card that any frequent traveler should seriously consider. If you are not a frequent flyer, this is still a good card, but there may be other cards on the market that will give you more earning power.
For a complete list of all Travel Credit Cards go to our Travel Credit Card Page. On this page you will find all of the best travel credit cards including the best Travel Reward Cards, Airline Mile Cards, Hotel Point Cards and the latest sign up bonus offers.
Know your Credit Score
Before you apply for any credit card, you should make sure you have an understanding of your credit score and credit history. Most Travel Credit Card Companies require you to have a strong credit score, ideally they will prefer a FICO score of at least 700.
Once you apply for a credit card, the credit card company will perform a credit inquiry. Be aware that credit inquiries will affect your credit score. Each time you apply for a credit card (or any type of loan for that matter), the inquiry will reduce your score anywhere from 2-5 points.
By law, you are allowed to obtain a free copy of your credit report from each of the credit bureaus once a year. The free annual copies of your credit report will give you all of the data that provides the foundation for your credit score, but the Credit Reports don’t provide the Credit Score itself. You will need both your Credit Report and Credit Score to get the full view of your credit situation.
Here are four links to get your Free Credit Score: (Note: CreditReport.com and TransUnion will ask for credit card information to participate in a trial offer, but will not charge you until after the 7 day free trial period. After 6 days you can either continue with the service or cancel and keep your credit score for free. The third and Fourth options, CreditSesame and CreditKarma do not require a credit card and truly are Free.)
- CreditReport.com Free Credit Score
- TransUnion 3 Bureau Credit Report and Free Score
- CreditSesame (no card required – provides Experian Score)
- CreditKarma (no card required – provides TransUnion Score)
Here is the link to get your Free Credit Report:
Finally, please only apply for any travel credit card if you pay your bills in full each month. Carrying a balance on any travel credit card will eliminate the benefit of the travel rewards due to the higher interest rates associated with these cards.