Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Allegiant Airlines Carry-On Rules and Bag Guidelines
- Allegiant Airlines Personal Item Size & Fees
- Allegiant Airlines Carry-On Size & Fees
- Carry-On Weight Limits
- Prohibited Items
- Allegiant Airlines Liquid Rules
- The TSA 3-1-1 Rule
- Carry-On Food
- Allegiant Airlines Carry-On Pet Policy
- Here are a couple of other guidelines when traveling with a pet:
If you’re planning to travel with just a carry-on, you’ll need to be up to speed with your airline’s carry-on policy. Each airline’s rules are different, so don’t just assume what works for one, will work for all airlines. This is especially true if you are flying a low-cost airline, like Allegiant.
Low-cost airlines may have lower base fares, but if you aren’t careful, you will end up paying more because of all the “a la carte” fees they have. These include fees for both checked and carry-on luggage (as well as seat assignments, beverages, printing your boarding pass, etc..). Spirit is the worst offender, but Allegiant can be challenging as well if you aren’t careful.
If you are going to be flying Allegiant, here are the carry-on rules you need to be aware of:
Allegiant Airlines Carry-On Rules and Bag Guidelines
Allegiant allows one personal item onboard at no charge, but they charge for both carry-on and checked bags. The personal item must fit under the seat in front of you, and the carry-on bag must be stowed in the overhead bin or it will have to be checked.
Allegiant Airlines Personal Item Size & Fees
Personal items include a purse, briefcase, laptop, backpack, or a similar sized item. Dimensions must not exceed 16 x 15 x 7 inches.
Allegiant Airlines Carry-On Size & Fees
Allegiant’s size requirements for a carry-on are 22″ x 14″ x 9″.
Carry-on bag fees vary based on when you purchase and are non-refundable. The following are the fees you will pay for your carry-on, each way, depending on your destination.
- During Booking: $18 – $25
- Before & During Online Check-In: $45
- At the Airport: $50
Carry-On Weight Limits
Allegiant does not have a weight limit for carry-on bags.
There are certain items that are considered dangerous and classified as a hazardous material. Dangerous goods are prohibited from both your carry-on and checked bag on all Allegiant flights. These rules are not specific to Allegiant and are mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Allegiant Airlines Liquid Rules
The rules for carry-on liquids are set by the TSA (Transportation Security Administration), not by the airline. Allegiant doesn’t have their own specific Liquids Policy, they just enforce the rules and policies of the TSA.
It’s also important to note that the rules for bringing a “liquid” in your carry on bag are different from the rules that govern what you can bring in your checked luggage. Liquids in a carry on bag must be 3.4 ounces or smaller and fit in a 1 quart sized container. Anything larger must be placed in your checked luggage.
The TSA 3-1-1 Rule
Each passenger may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in travel-size containers that are 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters. Each passenger is limited to one quart-size bag of liquids, gels and aerosols. Common travel items that must comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule include toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, perfume, mouthwash, deodorant and lotion.
Any liquid that does not meet the TSA 3-1-1 rule will either have to be checked with your luggage or will be thrown away at the security check point.
Here is a little video to help illustrate:
The TSA also sets the rules for what type of food you can bring on the plane. There are two different scenarios pertaining to food:
- Food you bring with you from home, and
- Food you buy at the airport, after you have gone through security.
When bringing food with you from home, an important thing to note is the classification of liquid vs. solid foods.
The general rule is “If you can spill it, spread it, spray it, pump it, or pour it, then it’s considered a liquid or gel,”. This means your food may be considered a liquid and will fall under the TSA 3-1-1 liquids rule, which mandates that any liquid, gel, cream, aerosol, or paste in a carry-on must be 3.4 ounces or less, and fit in one quart-size resealable bag (only one such bag is allowed per passenger).
Here’s a link to the TSA website advising what food can be brought with you on your Allegiant flight. This only applies to food you are bringing from home through security. Once you get through security, you can bring just about any food on the plane that you buy at the airport.
Allegiant Airlines Carry-On Pet Policy
Allegiant Airlines allows live animals/pets (domestic cats and dogs only) in the passenger cabin of the aircraft in a soft-sided carrier for flights within the 48 contiguous states. Travel to international destinations and U.S. territories, including San Juan, Puerto Rico may not accept all pets.
Allegiant does not allow pets to be checked as baggage.
If you are going to bring a pet on board with you, it must be able to fit in a small, ventilated pet carrier that fits under the seat in front of you. Your pet carrier cannot exceed 16″ x 10″ x 8″.
Here are a couple of other guidelines when traveling with a pet:
- Each paid traveler may have only one pet carrier.
- While at the airport terminal and onboard the aircraft, pets must remain completely in the carrier and only be handled by the traveler.
- All animals are required to be harmless, non-disruptive and odorless.
- Pets cannot be ill, violent or in physical distress.
- Pet(s) must fit comfortably in the carrier and may not protrude from the carrier.
- Passengers with pets may not occupy an exit row, one row before/after an exit row or occupy a seat in the bulkhead.
- Passengers with pets must check in with an Allegiant agent at the ticket counter or gate counter at least one (1) hour prior to scheduled departure to ensure pets and pet carriers are compliant with the above guidelines.
- Allegiant does not transport animals in the cargo bin.
- A health certificate is not required.
- Allegiant assumes no responsibility for the health and well-being of pets in cabin.
- Contact TSA.gov for information regarding clearing TSA security.
- Passengers who do not comply with the above guidelines may be denied boarding.
Allegiant Carry-On Pet Fees
Here’s a chart showing the pet fees Allegiant charges each way. Double them for a round trip flight.
|To/From Destination||Pet Fee Each Way|
|Any Allegiant Destination||$ 100.00|
This fee does not apply to service animals of passengers with disabilities.
TSA Approved Pet Carrier for Allegiant
Allegiant Carry-On Fees
Here’s a link to Allegiant’s Carry-On page to make sure you have the most up to date information.