Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
In this article we dig into the Marriott travel agent rate program, called “Fam-tastic”, and see how much you can really save by using these rates.
Here is everything you need to know….
What is the Marriott Fam-tastic Program?
“Fam-Tastic” is Marriott’s rate familiarization program, which allows registered travel agents to book special rates at Marriott properties across the globe. Basically, it’s a way to let travel agents see Marriott properties at a discounted price so they can promote them to their customers.
The Fam-Tastic program is recognized as the industry’s premier travel advisor familiarization rate program and is offered as an exclusive benefit to qualified travel consultants who have successfully completed the Hotel Excellence! Core training and the current year’s annual Continuing Education and are employed by a valid ARC/IATA/TIDS/CLIA agency.
The Fam-Tastic rate is a discounted rate that varies by brand and is subject to availability.
Qualifying advisors are eligible to book Fam-Tastic stays (maximum four nights per stay, one visit per participating hotel per calendar year) at participating hotels.
Can anyone use a Marriott Travel Agent Rate?
Theoretically, anyone can go to the Marriott website and book a room with the Marriott travel agent rate code. All you have to do is enter code “TVL” in the “Corporate/Promotional Code” box under “Special Rates” section of the Marriott booking page. The process is the same as when you book a room with a Marriott Corporate Code. However, you will need to provide travel agent credentials when checking in so this is not a rate code just anyone can use.
Here are the credential and ID requirements for using the Marriott travel agent rate code:
- At the time of hotel check-in, the travel advisor must provide appropriate credentials. For advisors associated with a US agency: an IATAN photo ID Card or CLIA EMARC Photo ID Card is required. For advisors associated with an agency outside the US or for advisors associated with a AAA location: a valid photo ID and a business card or employment verification letter on the letterhead of their agency is required.
- If the appropriate credentials are not presented at check-in, the hotel will charge the travel advisor the Travel Agent rate or the lowest rate available to the general public for each night of the stay.
How much can you save with Marriott Fam-tastic Rates?
I must admit that I was surprised how little you actually can save with these rates. There are a couple of issues
- Many Marriott hotels don’t offer them, however most of the resorts in vacation destinations do offer travel agent rates.
- The savings are not that big. I have seen anywhere from 10-40%, depending on location and time of year.
Don’t get me wrong, a 10-40% discount is still a savings, but I would have expected the travel agent rates to be in the 50% or more off range to motivate them to check out the properties and promote them to their customers. Here are a couple of rate examples:
Example 1: New York City
Example #2: Hawaii
Terms of the Marriott Fam-tastic Program
- Fam-Tastic rates are non-commissionable and do not earn Marriott Bonvoy Points, Elite night credits, or qualify for Elite member benefits® or any other loyalty points or benefits issued by Marriott International.
- Reservations for the Fam-Tastic rate must be made upon logging into hotelexcellence.marriott.com.
- The rate is available at participating properties for a minimum of one (1) night and a maximum of four (4) nights per stay.
- Rates are subject to availability and black-out dates. Advance reservations required.
- Travel advisors may book a maximum of one (1) room per stay using the Fam-Tastic rate.
- There is no limit on the number of stays the travel advisor may book in a calendar year using the Fam-Tastic rate, provided that the travel advisor may only use the Fam-Tastic rate one (1) time per calendar year at each participating property.
- Rates will be shown in USD or local currency and do not include taxes, gratuities, resort or destination fees, or other mandatory fees.
- Rate applies to one standard guest room based on double occupancy.
What is Marriott Hotel Excellence?
Hotel Excellence! (HE!) is Marriott’s online library of training for travel advisors and is a key component of Marriott’s Preferred Travel Agency (PTA) program. The training covers hotel industry knowledge, sales tips, Marriott’s portfolio of brands, pricing and commission polices and more. Plus, qualified Marriott Hotel Sales Specialists gain access to Fam-Tastic rates, their lowest industry rates, so you can experience the brands for yourself.
Marriott Travel Advisor Benefits
- Exclusive access to Fam-Tastic rates at thousands of Marriott International Hotels worldwide.
- Receive dedicated eNewsletters on our latest news, openings and more.
- CEUs for maintenance of The Travel Institute’s CTA/CTC certification, the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies certification or CLIA credits.
- Access Tools and Resources to help you sell our brands.
Agency Owner Benefits
- Receive enhanced commission as a Preferred Travel Agency (PTA).
- Provide award-winning training to your travel advisors.
- View your agency’s status with Marriott from your dashboard once logged in.
- Easily complete annual requirements for the Preferred Travel Agency program.
More Great Content for Marriott Fans
If you like what you are reading now, here are some more great articles every Marriott Bonvoy member should check out!
More Travel Agent Content
How about some more content around travel agent deals?