IHG has a special program that helps small & medium-sized businesses save money on their travel spending. The name of the program is “IHG Business Edge” and it offers a variety of perks for business owners and their employees, including automatic elite status and guaranteed room discounts.
Keep reading to learn all about the program, the discounted rates, sign-up requirements, and what you need to stay in the program each year.
What is IHG Business Edge?
IHG Business Edge is a free travel program geared toward smaller businesses with less than 250 employees and up to $50 million in revenue. These companies have employees that travel and spend at least $5,000 with IHG each year.
The program provides guaranteed discounts across more than 6,000 participating IHG hotels globally when you book business or personal travel. These brands include InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo, and Kimpton, just to name a few.
Participating employees and travelers will also receive IHG Rewards Club Silver Elite status after completing their first stay under the program.
The Benefits, loyalty upgrades, flexible booking, and guaranteed access to the program are the result of IHG representatives talking with over 2,000 people at small and medium-sized businesses about their travel policies and processes.
Benefits of the Business Edge Program
The following are the benefits included in the program:
- Company employees will receive an upgrade to IHG One Rewards Silver Elite status after each individual’s first stay.
- You will get competitive discounts at participating hotels globally without having to negotiate with the hotels individually. (The discount is said to be at least 10%, which is not as good as what you get with the Hyatt Leverage SME program which can offer up to 25% off.)
- The company will have access to a customized Business Edge portal for content and reporting.
- IHG Business Edge is free to join with no minimum annual spend.
IHG Business Edge Portal
With the customer portal, your assigned administrator can review important travel data such as hotel spend, room nights, average nightly rate, savings, and IHG One Rewards participation over the last 12 months.
With future enhancements, the portal will also serve as the gateway to the IHG Business Edge community where administrators can access a content center with business tools, articles for continuing education, and a forum to connect with fellow SME travel administrators.
How to Apply to the IHG Business Edge Program
To qualify as an IHG Business Edge member, travel administrators can apply at businessedge.ihg.com. The process is quite easy and only takes a couple of minutes. Just provide your IHG One Rewards number and some basic contact and address information and hit the submit button.
Conclusion – Is IHG Business Edge Worth it?
After signing up for and reviewing the program, it seems a bit underwhelming. The two primary benefits, Silver elite status and a discount, are not as good as those offered via other channels. For example:
- IHG Silver Status – If you apply for and keep the Chase IHG Rewards Premier Card, you’ll get an even higher level of status – IHG Platinum Elite Status.
- 10% Discount – While a 10% discount is nice, you can get better discounts via either an IHG Corporate Code or the IHG Friends & Family Rate (which is open to everyone and can save up to 30%).
If you are a small business, it’s fine to go ahead and sign up for the program, but personally, I would use other avenues for deeper savings and better benefits. The nice thing is that it is free and there is no annual spend minimum so you can sign up at no risk and, who knows, it may pay off with a better rate one day.
More Great Content for IHG Fans
If you like what you’re reading now, here are some more great articles every IHG member should check out!