Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- Can Family Members Use the Employee Rate?
- IHG Employee Discount: Room Rates
- The Current IHG One Rewards Promotion: Summer 2023
- IHG One Rewards Review: In-Depth Guide to IHG’s Loyalty Program
- The Best IHG Corporate Codes & Discounts for Business Travelers
- IHG Friends and Family Rate – How Anyone Can Save 30% at IHG!
- Ultimate Guide to IHG Hotels & Resorts (2023)
- IHG Travel Agent Rates: How Travel Advisors Save 50% with IHG!
As one of the world’s largest hotel companies, InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) offers a range of employee benefits and perks to its team members. Among the most popular of these is the IHG employee rate, which provides savings of up to 75% on hotel room rates at IHG properties worldwide.
For employees who love to travel or are planning a family vacation, the IHG employee rate can be a great way to save money on your next vacation!
This article will explore how employees can take advantage of “The IHG Employee Room Benefit Program” and save big on their next hotel stay. From understanding the eligibility requirements to booking tips and tricks, we will provide a comprehensive guide to help employees make the most of this great perk.
IHG Employee Rates
The IHG Employee Room Benefit Program (“IHG Employee Rates”) offers heavily discounted room rates designed exclusively for:
- Employees of companies in the InterContinental Hotels Group (“IHG”), and
- Eligible employees of third-party franchisees, who work at IHG-branded hotels franchised by a subsidiary or affiliate of IHG.
Employees can choose to book either Standard Employee Rate with the Standard room type (meaning the hotel will assign the actual room,) or Employee Flex Rate with a specific room type. Note the pricing for Employee Flex Rate may be more or less than the rate available for Standard Employee Rate.
Limitations & Restrictions with the IHG Employee Rate
These employee rates are designed exclusively for IHG employees and their guests (while traveling with the participating employee) so the employee must show proof of identification upon check-in.
Because the discounts are so large, there are limits to the use of the employee rate, including:
- Employees may not book more than seven (7) room nights, at the employee rate, in the same hotel each calendar year.
- Employees cannot book more than two rooms with the employee rate per hotel, per visit.
- Each room counts towards the maximum of seven (7) room nights per calendar year at the Employee Rate.
- For example, if an employee uses their rate to book two rooms for three nights at a hotel, that will count as six of the seven-room nights for that hotel in that calendar year.
- An employee room reservation booked at the Employee Rate cannot be made more than 90 days in advance of the first day of the scheduled stay.
- The employee who made the reservation must check-in and stay at the hotel for the duration of the reservation:
- Employee Rates are for personal travel only. They are not available and must not be used for business-related travel.
- Employee Rates do not qualify for IHG Rewards Club points.
Can Family Members Use the Employee Rate?
Family members can only participate in this program when traveling with an employee for a limited number of nights. However, they can get a nice discount when not with the employee via the IHG Family and Friends Rate, which is open to anyone, at any time!
IHG Employee Discount: Room Rates
IHG does not provide employees with a flat rate across their hotel brands. Instead, they have a calculation called IVEDI to determine what rate a hotel will charge employees per night. The employee rate IVEDI is determined using a hotel’s 12-month Average Daily Rate (ADR) from the STAR Report (A benchmark that shows how a hotel is doing against its competitive set).
IHG determines the Employee Rate for the next calendar year based on a hotel’s 12-month rolling Average Daily Rate (“ADR”) as of September 30 of each year. The rate will then remain in effect from January 1st for the next full calendar year.
Brand new hotels will use rates based on the 12-month market class tract average on the Star Report. Once the hotel has a 12-month rolling ADR, the Employee Rate will be adjusted as outlined for existing hotels.
IHG Employee Rate Codes
When booking rooms, employees will have two rate types to choose from. Either an IVEDI rate, with the flow through the room, meaning the hotel will assign the actual room. Or an IVED2 rate that is associated with a specific room type.
IVEDI – The IHG Employee Rate
The IVEDI rate is the most deeply discounted rate for IHG employees and provides 9 rate tiers. It’s determined by using a hotel’s 12-month Average Daily Rate (ADR), as shown in the table below.
|Rate Tier||ADR Range||Employee Rate||Employee Savings %|
|1||$84.99 or less||$39.00||up to 54%|
|2||$85.00 – $99.99||$49.00||42 – 51%|
|3||$100.00-$124.99||$59.00||41 – 51%|
|4||$125.00-$149.99||$69.00||45 – 54%|
|5||$150.00-$199.99||$79.00||47 – 60%|
|6||$200.00-$249.99||$89.00||56 – 64%|
|7||$250.00-$299.00||$99.00||60 – 67%|
|8||$300.00-$399.99||$119.00||60 – 70%|
|9||$400.00 and up||$139.00||65% +|
IHG will pre-load room inventory for the Standard Employee Room Benefit Program for each night of the next calendar year for each hotel:
- Hotels with 100 rooms or more will have 2% of room inventory pre-loaded;
- Hotels with 99 rooms or less will have 2 rooms per night pre-loaded;
- Hotels may allocate more rooms for the program at their discretion; and
- No more than 50 dates can be blacked out each year in the reservation system.
- Hotels that have 98% occupancy or greater for 100 or more days for the 12 months preceding September 30 each year may apply directly to the IHG Corporate office to reallocate the number of Employee Rate rooms to be pre-loaded.
Here is the booking link for the IHG IVEDI Employee Rate.
The landing page will say “No locations match the provided destination”. Click on the change search field and the booking box will pop up. From here enter the destination and dates for your trip, then make sure the “IHG Employee Rate” button is highlighted. Hit the search button and see what hotels are offering the employee rate.
IVED2 – The IHG Employee Flex Rate
The IVED2 rate allows hotels to sell additional room types at a discount ranging from 35 – 50 percent off Best Flexible Rate depending on demand fluctuations. The pricing for IVED2 could be more or less than the rate available for IVEDI.
Here is the booking link for the IHG IVED2 Employee Rate.
The landing page will say “No locations match the provided destination”. Click on the change search field and the booking box will pop up. From here enter the destination and dates for your trip, then make sure the “IHG Employee Flex Rate” button is highlighted. Hit the search button and see what hotels are offering the employee rate.
Setup for the Employee Rate Benefit Program
There are three things an employee must do before being eligible for the employee rate:
- Sign up for the IHG Rewards Program.
- Have a Merlin ID
- Link the IHG Rewards Club number with their Merlin ID
Linking your IHG Rewards Club number to your Merlin ID is required to access the employee rate. Once complete, you will be able to book Employee Rate online and through the mobile app.
IHG Merlin ID
Since we made reference to Merlin, we might as well tell you what it is. Merlin is IHG’s internal website that connects all IHG employees. It is a single communication platform across all hotels that provides up-to-the-minute information on their business performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
IHG has 16 hotel brands with nearly 6,000 hotels in more than 100 countries, and a further 1,800 in the development pipeline.
The brands are in four segments including:
Luxury and Lifestyle: Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas, Regent Hotels & Resorts, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, Hotel Indigo
Premium: HUALUXE Hotels and Resorts, Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts, EVEN Hotels, voco Hotels
Essentials: Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts, Holiday Inn Express, avid hotels
Suites: Atwell Suites, Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Candlewood Suites
All of the major hotel chains offer some level of discount or free travel to employees and their family members. Hyatt has the best employee discount program of all the major hotel chains because they give you 12 completely free nights at any Hyatt property in the world, every year.
Marriott has “The Marriott Explore Rate” which is similar to the “Go Hilton” Team Member Rate and the IHG Employee Rate because employees are provided with a deeply discounted nightly rate. These are great perks for hotel employees and team members who work very hard every day and should be able to enjoy discounted trips to some great properties as well.
More Great Content for IHG Rewards Fans
If you like what you’re reading now, here are some more great articles every IHG Rewards member should check out!