Just because you received a denial letter/email from the credit card you applied for doesn't mean you are out of luck. Every major bank has a handy phone number to call to have the “reconsider” your application (or just check the status).
I have often called these credit card reconsideration numbers when I have not heard back from the bank regarding my status. If it is taking a while to hear back, most likely your application is under review or has already been rejected.
When this happens, just call the bank reconsideration number and present your case.
If you already have several credit cards with a particular bank, you may just have to ask them to reallocate some of your credit from the existing cards to this new card. This will not increase the amount of credit you have available with the bank, it will just reduce the amount of credit you have open on one or two cards to make way for the new card.
My fundamental rule when making these calls is to always be friendly, courteous, and confident… if the representative you are talking with is not friendly or willing to help, politely hang up and try back again later.
The reconsideration numbers for the major credit card companies are:
1. American Express
- 866-314-0237 – Reconsideration Line
- 877-399-3083 – New Accounts
2. Bank Of America
- 866-458-8805 – Reconsideration Line
- 1-866-408-4064 – Reconsideration Line
4. Capital One
- (800) 625-7866 – Reconsideration Line
- 1-888-245-0625 -Reconsideration line for personal cards
- 1-800-453-9719 – Reconsideration line for business cards
6. Citibank Credit Card Reconsideration
- 1-800-763-9795 (credit department…not very friendly..)
- It’s best to write a letter to: Citibank Executive Review Department, P.O. Box 6000, Sioux Falls, SD 57117
7. US Bank
- 800-947-1444 – Reconsideration Line