Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
What is Hilton Diamond Status?The Hilton Honors program has four levels of membership:
How to earn Hilton Diamond StatusHilton Honors Diamond status is the easiest “top tier” status to earn of all hotel loyalty programs, with 3 ways to earn it.
1. Earn Status with Hilton StaysYou can earn Hilton Diamond Status by accomplishing one of the following three things:
- 60 nights; or
- 30 stays; or
- 120,000 base points (you will normally earn 10 base points per dollar at most Hilton properties, so this is the equivalent of spending $12,000 in a year)
2. Earn Status with a Status MatchHilton also offers a status match. This program will allow you to match status from another program to Hilton Gold and upgrade to Diamond status with additional nights over the promotion period. Here is a link to the Hilton Status Match page where you can request a status match.
3. Earn Status with a Credit CardThe easiest and fastest way to get Hilton Diamond Status is with the American Express Aspire Credit Card (Referral Link) which provides automatic Diamond status to all cardholders. I don’t stay at Hilton’s very often, but I have this card because the benefits far outweigh the $450 annual fee. The card has a long list of features and benefits, but the following four features are why I originally applied for the card and continue to keep it each year.
- Complimentary Diamond Status
- Annual Free Weekend Night at any Hilton Property (I use these for stays at Waldorf Astoria properties that can cost over $500/night)
- $250 Statement credit when staying at a Hilton resort (I normally use my free weekend night at a Waldorf resort, so I can also use this credit for any dining or drinks I charge to my room during my stay)
- $250 Airline credit. I don’t always get the full benefit out of this one, but it can work well for getting a credit back when you pay for for baggage fees, drinks/food on board, seat assignment fees, pet fees and airline lounges.
Hilton Diamond Benefits & PerksThe Hilton Honors program provides incrementally better benefits with each level of elite status, with the best perks being reserved to customers with the highest level of status. The following are eight benefits and perks that are only available with Hilton Diamond status.
1. Executive Lounge Access
Diamond members will have access to the executive lounge for the duration of their stay (at Hilton properties that provide a lounge). These lounges offer complimentary breakfast every morning and an evening spread ranging from basic appetizers to what can amount to a full dinner, depending on the location.
Hilton often provides complimentary evening cocktails as well at international properties. However, the majority of domestic Hilton hotels charge for alcoholic beverages in their lounges.
2. Diamond Point Bonus – 100% Bonus Points
Get 100% Bonus on all Base Points you earn on every stay. Base members will earn 10 base points per dollar spent, so Diamond members will earn an additional 10 points per dollar spent (total of 20 points per dollar), not including any promotions or other bonuses that may apply.
3. 48 Hour Room Guarantee
You are guaranteed a room, even if the hotel is sold out, as long as you book 48 hours in advance. However, this isn’t that great of a benefit because you will have to pay a very high rate to get that room, most discounts and codes will not work under this scenario.
4. Diamond Status Extension
Enjoy an extra year of Diamond perks with a one-time extension. Available when you have been a Diamond Member for 3 years and stayed 250 lifetime nights or earned 500,000 Base Points. Note: You can only use this benefit one time, so think it through before pulling the trigger.
5. Elite Status Gifting
If you hit 30 nights in the calendar year, you can gift Gold status to any member. If you hit 60 nights then that gift is upgraded to Diamond. This benefit will not apply if you earn status through a status match or Hilton Aspire card. It only applies if you earn status via staying at Hilton hotels.
6. Premium Wi-Fi
Upgrade your WiFi to the fastest in the hotel – at premium speeds for free.
7. Room Upgrade
According to their terms and conditions, Hilton Honors Diamond members are entitled to a room upgrade, if available, although the individual hotels have a lot of discretion with this benefit. As the terms explain,
If we have a better room available, it’s yours – up to a 1-bedroom suite.
Upgrades are at the discretion of the hotel and are granted on a space-available basis for the entire duration of the stay, at the time of check-in. I have always received some level of upgrade, but it’s generally to the next best room type, rarely is the upgrade all the way up to a suite.
8. Complimentary Breakfast
For properties without executive lounges, Honors Diamond members are entitled to complimentary continental breakfast. This can vary by location. For example, when I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Boca Beach Club, they did not offer free breakfast but provided $30 per day for any drinks or meals purchased on property.
Other Benefits of Hilton Honors Elite StatusThe chart below shows all of the benefits offered to Hilton Honors elite members, from a basic member all they way up to a Diamond member.
Is Hilton Diamond Status Worth it?I like having Diamond status because the benefits make any trip to a Hilton property better. That said, I do not think the benefits are good enough to earn Diamond status through hotel stays. If you are going to earn status through stays, World of Hyatt is a much better program for that. However, since all you really have to do to earn and maintain Hilton Diamond Status is have the American Express Aspire Card (referral link), I think it’s a no-brainer to achieve it the “easy way” with the card.
More Content for Hilton Honors FansIf you like what you are reading now, here are some more great articles every Hilton Honors member should check out!
- Detailed Guide and Review of the Hilton Honors Loyalty Program
- How to Easily get Hilton Diamond and Gold Status
- The latest Hilton Honors Promotion and other ways to save on your Hilton stays
- How to save 20% with the Hilton MVP rate
- The Hilton Go Team Member Rate: How Hilton team members and their family and friends can save big!
- Hilton Travel Agent Rates & Airline Rates