Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
If you booked a flight on Delta that you won’t be able to take and want the cost of your ticket refunded, here’s what you need to know.
Delta Airlines Refund Policy
Each airline has its own refund policy, however, they are all governed by the same rules that are mandated by the Department of Transportation (“DOT”).
The following are scenarios that require a full or partial refund, as mandated by the DOT, and enforced through the Delta Airlines Refund Policy:
- 24-Hour Refund – If you book direct on delta.com or the Fly Delta app, you have up to 24 hours after booking to cancel it for any reason and receive a full refund with no fees..
- Canceled Flight – You are entitled to a refund if Delta Airlines cancels a flight, regardless of the reason, and you choose not to travel.
- Schedule Change/Significant Delay – You are entitled to a refund if Delta Airlines makes a significant schedule change and/or significantly delays a flight and you choose not to travel.
- The DOT does not specify what is “significant” so this will vary from airline to airline. Check Delta’s customer commitment page for the latest policy.
- Class of Service Change – You are entitled to a refund if you are involuntarily moved to a lower class of service. For example, if you purchased a first-class ticket and are downgraded to economy class seat due to an aircraft swap, you are then owed the difference in fares.
- Fully refundable ticket – If you purchase a fully refundable ticket are entitled to a refund when you don’t use the purchased ticket to complete your travel
- Baggage Fees – You are entitled to a refund if you paid a baggage fee and your baggage has been declared lost.
- Airlines may have different policies to determine when a bag is officially lost. Most airlines will declare a bag lost between five and fourteen days after the flight, but this can vary from one airline to another. Check Delta’s customer commitment page for the latest policy.
If your flight is canceled and you don’t want to be re-booked on another flight, you are entitled to a full refund of the ticket price.
Refund due to Cancellation of a Flight
If your Delta flight is canceled and you don’t want to be re-booked on another flight, you are also entitled to a full refund of the ticket price.
Delta will try to first re-book you an alternative flight or convert your ticket value to an eCredit for future Delta travel. However, if you want a refund for a canceled flight they are required to provide it to you in the original form of payment
Note: Airfare rules have changed since COVID, so check out Delta Airlines’ travel requirements page to make sure you are up to speed with the latest developments and policies.
Canceling a Delta Basic Economy Ticket
Basic Economy tickets purchased after April 30, 2021, cannot be changed. If you cancel a Basic Economy ticket purchased after April 30, 2021, you will lose the value of your ticket. This is just one of several reasons you need to make sure the savings are worth the downsides of a Basic Economy Ticket. I generally try to avoid them.
Refundable vs. Non-Refundable Tickets
Getting a refund on a fully refundable ticket is relatively easy, but it’s a lot tougher if you have a non-refundable ticket.
Delta Airlines won’t issue refunds on non-refundable tickets, except for the following situations that are considered “unplanned events”:
- Death of the traveler, traveling companion, or immediate family member.
While you can’t always get a refund, you can receive an eCredit for the value of the ticket, minus any cancellation fees (if applicable). The value of the eCredit can then be redeemed toward the cost of a future Delta flight.
Documentation Requirements for a Refund
If you find yourself in an unplanned situation that requires you to cancel your trip, here’s the documentation you will need to provide to Delta to get a refund:
- In case of death: Copy of the death certificate.
Delta Airlines Refund Request: How to Get a Refund
After reading the above information, if you believe you are eligible for a refund, just go to the Delta Airlines refund page and follow the steps outlined, starting with your name and ticket number.
Where to find your Delta Airlines Ticket Number
You can find your ticket number on either the printed boarding pass or your receipt.
The Delta Airlines Ticket Number is a 13-digit document number beginning with 006
Refunds via mail
If you’re unable to submit your request online, you can contact Delta Passenger Refunds via mail at the addresses below. Make sure to include your Delta Airlines ticket number, your flight information, contact information, and reason for your request.
Via U.S. Postal Service
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
P.O. Box 20537
Atlanta, GA 30320-2537
Via Courier Service
Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Passenger Refunds, 4th Floor
700 South Central Avenue
Hapeville, GA 30354
How to check your Delta Airlines Refund Status
You can check the status of your refund on the Delta Airlines website here.
Just enter your ticket number, last name, and refund request number.
How long will it take to get a refund from Delta Airlines?
If you are owed a refund, Delta must process the refund and provide credit within 7 business days if you paid by credit card, and 20 business days if you paid by cash or check.