Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
If you’re planning to travel with just a carry-on, you’ll need to be up to speed with airline carry-on policies. Specifically, the various rules and regulations each carrier has for what you can and can’t “carry-on” to the plane. Each airline’s carry-on rules are different, so don’t just assume what works for one will work for all airlines.
If you’re going to be flying TAP Portugal Airlines, then here are the carry-on rules you need to be aware of regarding size, weight, fees, liquids, etc.
TAP Air Portugal Carry-On Size & Weight Limits
TAP Portugal allows one carry-on bag and one personal item onboard, at no charge, for Economy Class, and for Business Class (to/from North America). They allow two carry-on bags plus a personal item for those flying in their Executive Class cabins.
The personal item should fit under the seat in front of you, and the carry-on bag must be stowed in the overhead bin.
TAP Portugal Carry-On Size Dimensions
TAP Portugal size requirements for a carry-on are:
- Dimensions for carry-on baggage: max. 55 x 40 x 20 cm (22x16x8in)
If you aren’t sure what size your carry-on is, TAP Portugal typically provides “size check templates” located at their ticketing counters and some departure gates. But if you wait until you get to either of these locations and have an issue, it’s too late.
If the bag is too big or too heavy, you’re going to have to pay a fee, so it’s always better to know your bag size and the limitations in advance.
TAP Air Portugal Personal Item Size and Fees
Personal items include a purse, briefcase, laptop, backpack, shopping bag, or a similar-sized item.
The following items may be brought onboard without counting toward your carry-on limit.
- Bags: Handbags, computer cases, or shoulder bags measuring no more than 40x30x15cm (16x12x5in.)
- Walking aids: Mobility equipment such as wheelchairs, walking sticks, etc.
- Medical devices: upon prescription/prior approval.
TAP Portugal Carry-On Weight Limits
TAP Portugal requires carry-on bags to weigh less than 10 kg (22 lbs.). However, they don’t weigh your carry-on items prior to boarding, so you’re generally not going to have a problem if it’s too heavy. The weight issue applies to check baggage more than carry-on bags since they weigh your checked bags when you check in for your flight.
Carry-On Size Rules for Small Regional Aircraft
If you are flying one of TAP Portugal’s regional TAP Express planes (such as an ATR 72-600 or Embraer 190), it may not be possible to carry your hand baggage on board, even if it has the correct dimensions and weight. If this is the case, TAP will check it in and carry it in the hold, free of charge.
If you want to make sure you have a bag that will fit, check out this article on the best carry-on luggage for regional jets.
Related Content: TAP Portugal Flight Deals
TAP Portugal – Flight Deals
Carry-On Liquids: TAP Portugal Liquids Policy
The rules for carry-on liquids are set by the TSA in the US and the EASA and European Commission in Europe. TAP doesn’t have its own specific Liquids Policy, they just enforce the rules and policies of the Authorities.
- Containers with liquids and gel-like substances may hold up to 100 ml (maximum capacity must be printed on the container).
- All containers must be carried in a plastic bag (transparent, resealable, max. capacity of one liter). One bag per person.
- The bag must be presented separately at security. Take your liquids out of your carry-on baggage at the security screening point and present them separately. In exceptional cases, liquids may be opened in the course of security checks and removed from their outer packaging.
- Liquid duty-free goods purchased at an international airport or on board an aircraft outside the EU must be transported in a tamper-proof, certified bag on connecting flights via an EU airport. The proof of purchase must be inside the bag and the bag must be sealed by the retailer.
- Medicines and special food (e.g., baby food) can be carried outside the plastic bag and must also be presented at security.
Below is a table that provides some examples of Non-solid Food and Personal Items that are considered “liquids”:
The TSA 3-1-1 Rule
Each passenger may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols in travel-size containers that are 3.4 ounces or one hundred milliliters. Each passenger is limited to one quart-size bag of liquids, gels, and aerosols. Common travel items that must comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule include toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and lotion.
Any liquid that does not meet the TSA 3-1-1 rule will either have to be checked with your luggage or will be thrown away at the security checkpoint.
Here is a little video to help illustrate:
There are two different scenarios pertaining to food:
- The food you bring with you to the airport, and
- The food you buy at the airport after you have gone through security.
An important thing to note is the classification of liquid foods vs. solid foods.
The general rule is “If you can spill it, spread it, spray it, pump it, or pour it, then it’s considered a liquid or gel”. This means your food may be considered a liquid and will fall under the TSA 3-1-1 liquids rule, which mandates that any liquid, gel, cream, aerosol, or paste in a carry-on must be 3.4 ounces or less, and fit in one quart-size resealable bag (only one such bag is allowed per passenger).
The TSA website advises what food can be brought with you on your flight. This applies to food you are bringing from home through security. Once you get through security, you can bring just about any food on the plane that you buy at the airport.
TAP Portugal Carry-On Pet Policy
TAP Portugal may not charge for your carry-on bag, but they will charge for your carry-on pet. The price depends upon the route and is charged once per flight direction.
Pet Transport rules
If you will be bringing a pet with you a pet request must be made at the time of reserving your trip, or before your flight, provided that it is at least 24 hours before departure. TAP’s pet carriage policy is subject to the following:
- Space is available on the airplane.
- The class you are flying in and the type of aircraft.
- Pets must be allowed into the destination country.
- The kind of animal and the total weight of the animal and the container.
- Only dogs and cats can be carried in the cabin. All other kinds of animals are carried in the cargo hold.
- Only malleable containers that are smaller than 40x33x17cm are accepted in the cabin. If you have a rigid container, the animal has to travel in the cargo hold. If the total weight is no more than 8kg, it can be carried in the cabin. Animals + containers over that weight are carried in the cargo hold.
- Age of the animal — Your pet must be at least 10 weeks old.
TAP Portugal Carry-On Pet Fees
|Domestic Flights (Portugal)||35 EUR / 46 USD / 57 CAD|
|Europe, Morocco, and Tunisia||70 EUR / 88 USD / 111 CAD|
|Intercontinental Flights||150 EUR / 185 USD / 235 CAD|
Prohibited Items and Dangerous Goods
There are certain items that are considered dangerous and classified as hazardous material. Dangerous goods are prohibited from both your carry-on and checked bags on all flights. These rules are not specific to any airline and are mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration and European Aviation Safety Agency.
One more way to find them is with the TAP Portugal summary of dangerous goods.
TAP Air Portugal Carry-On Size and Fees
TAP Portugal does not charge a fee for carry-on baggage that meets their size requirements. If your bag is too large and doesn’t meet TAP Portugal’s carry-on restrictions, you may be charged a fee to gate check it.
Here is a link to the TAP Portugal Carry-On page to make sure you have the most up-to-date information.