Table of Contents[Hide][Show]
- What are Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Bag Guidelines?
- Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Guidelines for Basic Economy
- Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Size and Dimensions
- Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Weight Limits
- Carry-On Rules for Inter-Island Commuter Planes
- Prohibited Items
- Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Liquids
- The TSA 3-1-1 Rule
- Can You Bring Food on a Hawaiian Airlines Flight?
- What are Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Pet Policies?
If you’re planning to travel with just a carry-on, you’ll need to be up to speed with airline carry-on policies. Specifically, the various rules and regulations each carrier has for what you can and cannot “carry-on” to the plane. Each airline’s rules are different, so don’t assume that what works for one will work for all airlines.
Here are the Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On rules you need to be aware of:
What are Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Bag Guidelines?
Hawaiian Airlines allows each ticketed guest one personal item and one carry-on bag at no charge.
Hawaiian Airlines Personal Item Size & Fees
A personal item on Hawaiian is a laptop bag, briefcase, purse, or backpack that can fit under the seat in front of you. In each case, it must fit safely under the seat in front of you.
Other items you can carry on board
In addition to your one carry-on bag and personal item, you can bring the following items on board:
- A stroller
- A handbag or pocketbook;
- An overcoat, jacket or wrap;
- A small foot rug;
- An umbrella or walking stick;
- A camera and/or a pair of binoculars;
- A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight; and
- Food (includes baby food) for consumption on the flight.
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Guidelines for Basic Economy
There is no charge to carry a bag on when you buy a Hawaiian Main Cabin Basic Economy fare. The carry-on rules are the same for all classes of service. The main difference is with a Basic Economy ticket, you’ll be one of the last to board, so overhead space will be limited.
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Size and Dimensions
Hawaiian Airlines’ size requirements for a carry-on are 22″ x 14″ x 9″.
If you aren’t sure what size your carry on is, Hawaiian Airlines typically provides “size check templates” located at their ticketing counters and departure gates. But if you wait until you get to either of these locations and have an issue, it’s too late.
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Weight Limits
Hawaiian Airlines limits the weight of your carry-on bag to 25 pounds.
Carry-On Rules for Inter-Island Commuter Planes
Hawaiian Airlines Inter-Island commuter flights are on smaller planes with limited overhead space. If your carry-on is larger than the personal item dimensions, you must gate check your bag before boarding.
All carry-on bags within Hawaiian Airlines’ size restrictions will be gate checked, free of charge, during the boarding process and returned upon deplaning.
Despite this “official rule” there are some bags you can carry on to a regional jet. Check out this article on the best carry-on luggage for regional jets.
There are certain items that are considered dangerous and classified as a hazardous material. Dangerous goods are prohibited from both your carry-on and checked bag on all flights. These rules are not specific to any airline and are mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration.
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Liquids
The rules for carry-on liquids are set by the TSA and FAA. Hawaiian Airlines doesn’t make the rules, but they must enforce them.
The TSA 3-1-1 Rule
Each passenger may carry liquids, gels, and aerosols in travel-size containers that are 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters. Each passenger is limited to one quart-size bag of liquids, gels, and aerosols. Common travel items that must follow the 3-1-1 liquids rule include toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash and lotion.
Any liquid that does not meet the TSA 3-1-1 rule will either have to be checked with your luggage or will be thrown away at the security check point.
Here is a little video to help illustrate:
Can You Bring Food on a Hawaiian Airlines Flight?
There are two different scenarios pertaining to food:
- Food you bring with you from home, and
- Food you buy at the airport, after you have gone through security.
An important thing to note is the classification of liquid vs. solid foods. The general rule is “If you can spill it, spread it, spray it, pump it, or pour it, then it’s considered a liquid or gel”. This means your food may be considered a liquid and will fall under the TSA 3-1-1 liquids rule, which mandates that any liquid, gel, cream, aerosol, or paste in a carry-on must be 3.4 ounces or less, and fit in one quart-size resealable bag (only one such bag is allowed per passenger).
Here’s a link to the TSA website advising what food can be brought with you on your Hawaiian Airlines flight. This applies to food you are bringing from home through security. However, once you are through security, you can bring just about any food on the plane that you buy at the airport.
What are Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Pet Policies?
A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved soft-sided kennel. The kennel must always fit completely under the seat in front of you and remain there. The maximum dimensions for soft-sided kennels are 16 inches long x 10 inches wide x 9.5 inches high with a maximum weight of 25 pounds.
Here are some additional things to be aware of:
- Carriers must be soft-sided and leak proof.
- The carrier must be large enough to allow the animal to sit, stand upright, turn and lay down in a natural position.
- The animal is required to stay in its carrier while in the terminal and onboard the aircraft.
- Animal carriers are prohibited from bulkhead, emergency exit rows and rows adjacent to emergency exit rows.
- The carrier must be stowed under the seat directly in front of the guest.
Additional information can be found on Hawaiian’s Pet Policy Page.
Does Hawaiian Airlines Charge to Bring a Pet on Board with You?
Yes. There is a charge to bring a pet on board with you. Below is a chart showing the pet fees Hawaiian Airlines charges each way. Double them for a round trip flight.
|To/From Destination||Pet Fee Each Way|
|Travel within Hawaii||$ 35.00|
|Travel from Hawaii to North America||$175.00|
Service animals has some separate guidelines. Here is a link to Hawaiian Airlines’ service animal rules.
TSA Approved Pet Carrier for Hawaiian Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines Carry-On Fees
Hawaiian Airlines does not charge a fee for carry-on baggage that meets their size requirements. If your bag is too large and does not meet Hawaiian Airlines’ carry on restrictions, you may be charged a fee to gate check it.
Here is a link to Hawaiian’s Carry-On page to make sure you have the most up to date information.
More related articles….
- 5 Tips to Travel with Just One Bag
- How to Use Packing Cubes to Travel with Just A Carry-On
- The Best Carry-On Bags for Regional and Small Jets
- 5 Essential Things to Stay Organized While on The Road
- Guide to Hawaiian Airlines Deals and Promo Codes
- Passport Requirements for Hawaii
- Hawaiian Words and Phrases you need to know