Starwood has announced the SPG Summer 2017 Promotion – it is called “SPG Take Three” and Registration is now open.
The terms of the SPG Summer 2017 Promotion are as follows:
- Stay two or more nights at participating SPG hotels and resorts between May 27 and September 4, 2017.
- Earn Double Starpoints on stays of two nights or more during the week
- Earn Triple Starpoints on stays of two or more nights on weekends
- Registration ends August 30, 2017.
I find it interesting that Marriott owns three brands, but has decided to have different promotion strategies for Starwood, Ritz Carlton and Marriott.
For example, Marriott’s promotions typically award bonus points on a “stay” and they do not set a limit for how many nights are in that stay to get the bonus, nor do they differentiate between a weekend stay and a weeknight stay. However, SPG typically requires a 2 night stay before bonus points are awarded and they offer a larger bonus for paid weekend stays vs. weeknight stays.
Personally, I am a business traveler who typically only stays one night at a time in any given location. I also really like SPG properties and Starwood’s Loyalty Program, but they are effectively making this promotion useless to me and potentially driving me to stay at other brands (like Marriott) with better promotions, which is disappointing.
That said, you should still Register for this and every promotion, since it is free to register and takes a grand total of 5 seconds to do so… However, I would not go out of my way to stay at a SPG Property for their Summer 2017 Promotion… I would however, make sure to register for the current Marriott promotion and stay there to get the 4,000 per night bonus
Important Terms of this Offer (pay attention to the red highlights):
- Registered members will earn double Starpoints at participating hotels and resorts on eligible stays of two or more nights within the earning period.
- Registered members who earn double Starpoints will earn an additional two (2) Starpoints per eligible US$1 spent (for a total of four  Starpoints per dollar).
- Elite-level extra Starpoints earnings and other bonuses will not be doubled.
- Only the base two-Starpoints-per-dollar eligible earnings are doubled.
- Registered members will earn triple Starpoints at participating hotels and resorts on eligible weekend stays of two or more nights within the earning period.
- Registered members who earn triple Starpoints will earn an additional four (4) Starpoints per eligible US$1 spent (for a total of six  Starpoints per dollar).
- Elite-level extra Starpoints earnings and other bonuses will not be doubled or tripled. Only the base two-Starpoints-per-dollar eligible earnings are doubled or tripled (collectively, the “promotion”).
- Offer is eligible with other Starpoints promotions; however, each offer will award bonus Starpoints independently of each other, and offers may not be combined.
- An eligible stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying an eligible rate in the same hotel or resort, regardless of the number of check-ins or checkouts that occur, and posting to the registered member’s Starwood Preferred Guest account.
- An eligible night is defined as at least one night paying an eligible rate in the earning period.
- An eligible rate is any rate that is eligible to earn Starpoints in the Starwood Preferred Guest program.
- A description of eligible stays and eligible rates can be found at spg.com under the program terms and conditions. See Section 2.1 for the complete definition of eligible rates.
- Note that certain prepaid room reservations — such as when the booking is made through a third party, including but not limited to travelocity.com, expedia.com, orbitz.com and delta.com — are not considered eligible rates and do not earn Starpoints or qualify for promotional earnings.
- Stays must be booked through any Starpoints-eligible channel, which includes a travel professional who books through those channels or the GDS. Stays will be processed for the promotion in the order they post to the registered member’s account.
- Check out the list of Participating hotels for this SPG Summer 2017 Promotion- most SPG Properties are participating, but not all
As always, if you are going to be staying at a SPG Property in the near future– here are some additional ways to save and make sure you are getting the best rate guaranteed