Following the direction of Hilton and Hyatt, IHG has announced updates to their reservation policies and loyalty program in light of the global pandemic. Here is a summary of the latest IHG Rewards Club COVID-19 updates.
IHG Rewards Club COVID-19 Updates:
- Cancellation Policy on Existing Reservations
- Flexibility with New Reservations
- Extended IHG Rewards Club Benefits
Cancellation of Existing Reservations
Existing bookings (bookings made through April 6, 2020) at all IHG hotels can be changed or cancelled for stays up to June 30, 2020, noting that:
- If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance, IHG will do everything they can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where required by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation.
- Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
- Exclusions may apply for time periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks.
- Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
- Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
- *Cancellation fees for existing and new domestic bookings at all IHG hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region will be waived for stays up to April 30, 2020
- Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the type and timing of the refund).
Flexibility with New Reservations
To help you plan and book any future travel with confidence, IHG has implemented several ways to support guests to amend travel plans as necessary:
- Book Now, Pay Later: This new rate offers flexibility and savings. With no deposit required and cancellations possible up to 24 hours before your stay for direct bookings, travel planning is commitment free. Guests benefit from 5% or more off the Best Flexible Rate for bookings made up to September 3, 2020 for stays until December 30, 2020 (excluding Greater China).
- Best Flexible Rate: This rate offers maximum flexibility to change or cancel your reservation. For direct bookings this rate can be fully changeable or refundable up to 6pm (local hotel time) on the day of arrival (dependent on the hotels’ individual house policy).
- IHG Rewards Club Members Rates: Additional savings are available for IHG Rewards Club members on these Book Now, Pay Later and Best Flexible rates.
- IHG Rewards Club nights: You can change or cancel these bookings with no penalty prior to the time period set by the hotel.
- IHG has removed their more restrictive (pre-paid/non-refundable) Advance Purchase rate from sale until later in the year (excluding Greater China)
- These rates, and others, have their own terms and conditions. Please refer to specific rate information when booking for further details – including cancellation terms. Changing the date on any reservations may result in different pricing.
IHG Rewards Club COVID-19 Updates to Benefits
The following adjustments are being made to the IHG Rewards Club loyalty program
Elite Membership Criteria:
- Reducing the Elite membership criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more:
- For all members with points due to expire from April 1 through to the end of the year, IHG is extending the expiration date of points to December 31, 2020.
- IHG is extending the expiration date of anniversary certificates that are set to expire in 2020. Certificates expiring from March 1, 2020 can now be used through December 31, 2020. Certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption time period.
With all of the craziness, I am thinking about renting an Airbnb until I can fly again and hotels fully open up.