The Ink Bold Business Card from Chase is a “Charge Card” designed for those who want premium travel benefits, the ability to earn points (Ultimate Rewards Points) toward free travel on all of their business purchases and don’t want to be restricted to any single airline or hotel program.
The Chase Ultimate Rewards program offered through the Ink Bold card is one of the most flexible travel reward programs on the market by giving cardholders the option to redeem points for just about anything – airfare, rental cars, hotel rooms, rail transportation, cruises, dining, shopping and even cash back. The combination of this reward flexibility and a first year bonus of 50,000 points make this a card one of the best business card options on the market today.
As a “Charge Card”, you are not allowed to carry a monthly balance with the Ink Bold Business Card, this card must be paid in full each month. This is unlike its sister Ink cards (Ink Classic and Ink Cash) which are more traditional credit cards and allow you to carry a balance if you cannot pay in full each month. However, this is actually a very good feature because the interest rates on Travel Credit Cards are too high for anyone that has to carry a balance from month to month.
Sign up Bonus, Rewards and Transfer Options
The Chase Ink Bold Business Credit Card offers the potential for some very high bonus points:
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months of having the card.
- Earn 5x points per dollar when you use the card on qualified business purchases(up to $50,000) – including wireless/telecommunications services, cable and satellite television and radio services, and office supplies.
You will also receive an additional 25% bonus when you redeem your reward points and book your travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Points never expire and there is no cap to the number of points you can earn in the program from this card.
Points earned in the first year with the Ink Classic Bold Card
Assume you spend $3,000 per month on the Credit Card in the first 12 months.
+ 50,000 Bonus Points – After spending $5,000 in first 3 months
+36,000 Points from Spending – 1:1 ratio of points per dollar charged on the card
= 86,000 Points earned in the first year. That’s enough for:
- Over $900 of free travel rewards, if redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards, OR
- Transfer to Hyatt for 86,000 Gold Passport Points – that will get you 17 free nights at a Category 1 Hyatt property or 4 nights at their Park Hyatt properties. Value ranging from $1,700 – $3,500, OR
- Transfer to Continental or British Airways for 3 free domestic flights, plus some leftover miles
Additional Benefits of the Ink Bold Business Card
The Chase Ink Bold Business Card comes with a suite of benefits exclusively available to cardholders. These benefits include:
- First year annual fee waived: $95 savings
- Points never expire
- No Foreign Transaction Fees: A Savings of 3% of every international transaction
- Free Mobile App for Business Expense Organization – “Jot”: Get real time text alerts for purchases made on the card, Instantly tag them with customer categories that you create and Download the data right into Quickbooks or Excel.
- Free Employee Cards: Get free additional Ink Cards for your employees’ business expenses. You’ll earn points on all their purchases – giving you the rewards you want faster. You can also set unique spending limits for each employee card, view individual employee activity and create customized expense reports.
- Airport Lounge Access: Receive a one-year complimentary Priority Pass membership – giving you access to over 600 airport lounges in more than 100 countries. The first two lounge visits are free, then Ink cardholders simply pay a discounted rate of $27 per person per visit for themselves and any accompanying guest(s) when visiting a participating lounge. This offer is valid for only your first year.
- Personal Travel Assistant
- Chase Global Lifeline: This is Chase’s 24 hour emergency service assistance service. The Global LifeLine® can assist you when your card won’t work, is lost or stolen, or when other travel-related emergencies arise.
- Points can be transferred 1:1 to other travel program: Points can be transferred at a 1:1 ratio to other programs including, Hyatt, Marriott, Intercontinental Priority Club, Continental, and British Airways.
- Points can be redeemed for retailers and restaurants: Such as Home Depot, Banana Republic, Morton’s, Starbucks and many more through the Ultimate Rewards Mall.
- 25% Point Bonus when Travel is redeemed through Chase: When travel is redeemed through Chase Ultimate Rewards points are worth 1.25.
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement: If your luggage is lost, you will be eligible to receive reimbursement for your checked luggage, carry-on luggage, and its contents for the difference between the “value of the amount claimed” and the Common Carrier’s payment, up to $3,000 per trip.
- Trip Cancellation / Interruption Insurance: In the event of the Insured person’s trip cancellation or interruption, Chase will pay up to $3,000. The trip cancellation / interruption must be the result of: 1.) accidental death, injury disease or physical illness of the cardholder or immediate family member or 2.) default of the common carrier resulting from financial insolvency.
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: The Visa Signature card provides coverage, at no additional cost, for damage due to collision or theft when you charge the entire rental to your covered card and decline the collision damage waiver offered by the rental policy.
- Travel Accident Insurance: As a Chase Bankcard holder, you, your spouse (or domestic partner) and unmarried children will automatically be insured up to $500,000.
- Identity Theft Protection: If you’ve been a victim of fraud or identity theft, Chase Sapphire provides assistance and reimbursement for the covered costs incurred in correcting your identity.
- Extended Warranty Protection. For manufacturer’s warranties of 3 years or less, the extended protection feature doubles the eligible warranty for up to 1 additional year.
- Purchase Protection. Within the first 90 days of purchase, Purchase Protection will replace, repair or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property purchased up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder, in the event of theft, vandalism, accidentally discharged water, or certain weather conditions.
Our Take on the Ink Classic Business Card
Is it right for you?
If you own a business (or are a business traveler) this card is definitely one of the best business travel cards on the market. If your monthly business expenses in the $1,000 – $2,000 range, this is still a great card, but you may want to consider the Chase Ink Classic Credit Card which has many of the same features with no annual fee. The first year and annual bonuses, added travel benefits and flexibility of being able to use you points for any type of travel reward (including hotels, airlines, cruises, etc.) are great features. As with any Ultimate Rewards Product , the Hyatt transfer option is an exceptional value (shown in the example above), but not the only great value this card offers.
Finally, the thing I like most about this card is that it forces you to pay it off in full each month. Travel Credit cards are a great deal if you pay them in full each month, but if not, the interest charges will exceed the value from the card. This card forces you to pay in full each month and eliminate the chance of diminishing the value of the card with excessive interest charges.
Apply here… with this secure link to the Application Page for the Ink Bold Business Card from Chase.
For a complete list of all Travel Credit Cards go to our Travel Credit Card Page. On this page you will find all of the best travel credit cards including the best Travel Reward Cards, Airline Mile Cards, Hotel Point Cards and the latest sign up bonus offers.
Know your Credit Score
Before you apply for any credit card, you should make sure you have an understanding of your credit score and credit history. Most Travel Credit Card Companies require you to have a strong credit score, ideally they will prefer a FICO score of at least 700.
Once you apply for a credit card, the credit card company will perform a credit inquiry. Be aware that credit inquiries will affect your credit score. Each time you apply for a credit card (or any type of loan for that matter), the inquiry will reduce your score anywhere from 2-5 points.
By law, you are allowed to obtain a free copy of your credit report from each of the credit bureaus once a year. The free annual copies of your credit report will give you all of the data that provides the foundation for your credit score, but the Credit Reports don’t provide the Credit Score itself. You will need both your Credit Report and Credit Score to get the full view of your credit situation.
Here are four links to get your Free Credit Score: (Note: CreditReport.com and TransUnion will ask for credit card information to participate in a trial offer, but will not charge you until after the 7 day free trial period. After 6 days you can either continue with the service or cancel and keep your credit score for free. The third and Fourth options, CreditSesame and CreditKarma do not require a credit card and truly are Free.)
- CreditReport.com Free Credit Score
- TransUnion 3 Bureau Credit Report and Free Score
- CreditSesame (no card required – provides Experian Score)
- CreditKarma (no card required – provides TransUnion Score)
Here is the link to get your Free Credit Report:
Finally, please only apply for any travel credit card if you pay your bills in full each month. Carrying a balance on any travel credit card will eliminate the benefit of the travel rewards due to the higher interest rates associated with these cards.